Re: [Savannah-hackers] Mixed up attic for AUCTeX.

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Mixed up attic for AUCTeX.
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:19:11 +0100

Hello David,

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:57:39PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 2004.08.11 22:45 David Kastrup wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > when I do a checkout of the CVS archive for AUCTeX without any
> > > options, I get a current version.
> >
> > Do you mean
> > cvs -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/auctex co auctex
> > ?
> >
> > > However, if I do a checkout with a tag, like -r HEAD or -D 2004/09/01,
> > > then I get wagonloads of junk from the Attic checked out as well.
> >
> > Can you give us the precise commands, and the files that differ with
> > the ones you get when using the above command (w/o options)?
>
> Feeling silly today?  Ok, here are the commands:

Not particularly, you?

> mkdir junk{a,b}; cd junka
> cvs -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/auctex co auctex
> cd ../junkb
> cvs -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/auctex co -r HEAD auctex
> cd ..
>
> Surprise.

Indeed, Sylvain was forgetting that we are mind readers and knew exactly
what commands and/or options you were using.  Bingo.

> Here are the results from a diff of the resulting trees:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Is it possible to fix this?  It makes it, for example, impossible to
> > > do an "export" command on the HEAD revision.
> >
> > Can you also check whether you are using a branch in your current
> > version (CVS/Tag files).
>
> Sigh.  What has the current version to do with it?  Just use the above
> commands, and you'll have a current version.  There are no CVS/Tag
> files in it, anyway.

Sigh.  What doesn't the current version have to do with it?  This could
have been a bug in a particular client; a bug that was triggered in the
server due to different mixes of command-line options.

We didn't know, so we asked you for the version you were using *because*
you didn't give us enough information.

> > Last, please specify your CVS version (cvs --version).
> [...]
> > Sorry, but we need more details to understand your problem.
>
> Feel free to ask anything else you might require.  But I should think
> that this problem would be pretty reproducible.
> [...]

This is fixed.  Let us know if we missed anything.

Best,
Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney
beu on irc.freenode.net/savannah.[non]gnu.org

PGP Key ID: 0x456548B4
PGP Key Fingerprint:
  29D5 91BB 8748 7CC9 650F 31FE 6888 0C2A 4565 48B4