[Savannah-hackers] [support #103302] Can't commit due to permissions pro

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [support #103302] Can't commit due to permissions problem
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:14:46 -0400

This mail is an automated notification from the support tracker
 of the project: Savannah Administration.

[support #103302] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Wed 08/25/2004 at 14:17 (Europe/Paris)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
          Resolution | None                      | Postponed
         Assigned to | None                      | Beuc

People usually do not use the same directory layout as you do: they create a
top-level module and put all their files in it.

However, I do not know exactly why the top-level directory permissions are set
this way (1777) - it is the same sitewide. I need to have a discussion with
some other Savannah hackers tonight before to make a decision.

[support #103302] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: Savannah Administration
Submitted by: John Kodis
On: Wed 08/25/2004 at 12:59

Category:  None

Original Submission:  I tried to check a few small changes in today, but thec
ommits are aborting due to a permission problem.  Here's a typical failure:

    address@hidden:station-info> cvs-station ci NEWS configure.ac
    Checking in NEWS;
    /cvsroot/station-info/NEWS,v  <--  NEWS
    cvs [commit aborted]: cannot rename file
    /cvsroot/station-info/,NEWS,
    to /cvsroot/station-info/NEWS,v: Operation not permitted

The cvs-station command is just an alias that points to the project repository:

    alias cvs-station='CVS_RSH=ssh cvs -z3 -d
    :ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/station-info'

Oddly, this problem only seems to effect existing files at the top level of the
project.  I have been able to add new files to the top level directory, and
commit changes to the new file and to files in any of the project
subdirectories.  This indicates that the problem is not with my ssh or
networking setup, but something about the permission or ownership of the
top-level project files.

Thanks for any assistance that you can offer.

-- John Kodis.

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Wed 08/25/2004 at 14:17       By: Sylvain Beucler <Beuc>
People usually do not use the same directory layout as you do: they create a
top-level module and put all their files in it.

However, I do not know exactly why the top-level directory permissions are set
this way (1777) - it is the same sitewide. I need to have a discussion with
some other Savannah hackers tonight before to make a decision.

For detailed info, follow this link:
<http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailitem&item_id=103302>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/