Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of kernel-project -

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of kernel-project -
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:58:55 +0200

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 11:24:42AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> A package was submitted to
>

> Sebastian Wieseler <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: fdl
> Other License:
> Package: kernel-project
> System name: kernel-project
> Type: GNU

> [x] Free Documentation Projects
>
> I wrote a website about the Linux-Kernel. This inlcudes the history, the
> configuration, the compilation, the installation, the bootloaders (lilo +
> GRUB) and the security (/proc, bootloader, fstab, ...).
>
> I wrote this all because I must wrote a webpage for the school.
> [ XHTML 1.1 ; CSS2 ; PHP4 ]
> All content was written in English. Maybe I can found on this project here
> support for the translation to English and for Hurd?
>
> url: http://kickino.org/kernel-project/
> License: GNU Free Documentation License
>
> Other Software Required:
> Webproject only need a browser. ;-)

Let's begin with licensing.

You have to make sure you can use all the material from the website.
For example, for the penguin one, the license seems to be:

"Permission to use and/or modify this image is granted provided you
acknowledge me [Linus Torvalds] address@hidden and The GIMP if
someone asks."

Another delicate point is reproducing the mailing-list threads. While
it is ok to quote two e-mails, you cannot put a lot of messages in
your work. You should use an external link to a resource not covered
by your license.

Also, the GFDL require that you include a copy of the license in your
document. A link to an external website is not sufficient.

A non-mandatory suggestion would be to remove the MSIE-specific
website, as it encourages people to use that proprietary piece of
software. It is not mandatory because you provide a version free of
that dependency; as long as the "other browser" version is not
substentially worse than the MSIE one, I think it is ok for Savannah
hosting.

Last, please include an (temporary) URL pointing to the source code.
However, you can also forward the code to me by email.

We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to
catch potential legal issues early.

For example, to release your program properly under the GFDL you must
include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at the
beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-howto.html.  Our review would help
catch potential omissions such as these.

If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please provide
us with an URL to an updated version of your project.  Upon review, we
will reconsider your project for inclusion in Savannah.

Regarding the support Savannah can do for the English and Hurd
"ports", you may want to try the "Contributor Wanted" feature :)

Also, can you confirm you want this project to be included in the GNU
project (you chose the "GNU" project type)?

Sylvain