Re: [gnu.org #209946] Re: [Savannah-hackers] Log of mails sent through M

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [gnu.org #209946] Re: [Savannah-hackers] Log of mails sent through Mailman
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:14:25 +0200

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 12:49:58PM -0400, James Blair via RT wrote:
> > address@hidden - Mon Sep 06 16:12:03 2004]:
> >
> > 95% of people who subscribed to the mail-list appear to be in the
> > first 2200 e-mails of my ~30000 emails list. The other ones followed
> > the link in the main page, I guess.
> >
> > I'd still like to get the authoritative answer from lists.gnu.org.
>
> There's a section of exim log files in ~list/addresses.announce.  It
> should be pretty simple to extract the addresses from that.

Thanks!
I should be able to compute the list of invited people with this.

> > Another question is: how would you send these invites; of course,
> > command line tool add_members only supports subscribing, not inviting.
>
> The Mailman CGI code is actually pretty readable, so whenever I need to
> answer the question "I can do this from the web; how can I do it from a
> program?", I can usually find the answer by reading the CGI code.
>
> There's a function in the MailList class:
>
>     def InviteNewMember(self, userdesc, text=''):
>         """Invite a new member to the list.
>
>         This is done by creating a subscription pending for the user,
> and then
>         crafting a message to the member informing them of the invitation.
>         """
>
> I think that's what you want.  You should be able to craft a python
> script to get that mailing list object, and then call that for the users
> you need.  I'm not exactly sure how to use it though (userdesc probably
> needs to be an object with certain attributes).  There are probably
> enough little python scripts laying around on the system to put together
> a script for what you need.

That's the approach Elfyn tried. Unfortunately, this kind of scripts
had to be carefully tested (I remember it had subscription URLs that
didn't work and some other problems), so I am willing to find an
existing 'stable' solution.

> There may be implications for creating 30,000 "pending subscriptions"
> for a list, but I don't know.

Knowing this and what I said above, I might end up subscribing users
each day by slices of 1500-2000 users... I'll check this again within
some days, since we have other important tasks to perform at the
moment.

Thanks for your help :)

--
Sylvain