Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Blasters - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Heretik
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Blasters - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:36:00 +0200

I wrote another message about it, but it seems it wasn't in the thread.
Here it is :
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2004-09/msg00228.html

Le dim 12/09/2004 à 00:29, Elfyn McBratney a écrit :
> > Freeblasters will be a multiplayer, 2D action game like metal slug in some
> > ways. The context is a war between Free sotware and Proprietary software
> > (classical stuff ;) ). Its main characters will be Free software mascots
> > like Tux, Beastie and a gnu ;). The optionnal main characters are symbolics
> > of proprietary software, optionnal because this might change if we encounter
> > law problems with this.
>
> We do not want want the gnu to look subordinate to the tux.  Could you go into
> a bit more detail about how the characters in the game are presented, how they
> are described and how they are presented to the user?

We'll have 2 teams, the "free software" team and the "patented software"
team, with several characters in each team. Some of the characters of
the "free software" team will be Tux, Beastie and the gnu and they will
have the exact same importance. We intend to first make Tux and Beastie
but the gnu will be the third one we intend to make, and as soon as it's
made, it will be as important as the others, and any other character
we'll make in the future will have the same importance too.

The first gameplay we intend to make will be multiplayer and online,
with these 2 teams, so the "patented software" team will have to be as
string as the "free software" team, although we clearly want to make
propaganda for our favorite team ;). Later, when we have a good game
engine, we may add an adventure mode, where the "free software" team
will be able to fight weaker proprietary software icons

> > Our web site :
> >
> > http://cedrelek.homelinux.com/freeblasters/index.php
> > It doesn't have much content yet, but already a good xhtml 1.1 / css 2
> > structure.
>
> Please note, that we do not provide support for PHP (or any other server-side
> scripting technologies), only static content (HTML, CSS, images, etc).

We use php mainly for pseudo frames, to avoid frames or code
duplication.

Well, the web site will stay on this server.

I'd like to ask it again : do you consider adding support for subversion ? If
so, we
would prefer to host all the project files on Savannah because it's more
reliable than
our home-made server we use for now.

I'd like to raise once more the legal problems we may encounter. Could
you tell us what we can do and what we shouldn't do about proprietary
software slaughtering and any symbolics we'll use before we run into
such legal problems.