[Savannah-hackers] Re: FFII: European Democracy Day 2004-09-24

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: FFII: European Democracy Day 2004-09-24
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:34:38 +0100

Hello,

I'm Elfyn, one of the GNU Savannah admins/hackers, also a new CVS
volunteer/hacker (vvvery part-time) @ ffii.org. :-)

On to the point, I wonder if we could maybe initiate some links between the
two projects, and get some FFII banners/links/general information on the
Savannah pages?  And perhaps reciprocate, and get some GNU/Savannah links on
the FFII wiki (can do myself)/software section(s) (need address@hidden ;-) ?

We used to replace the Savannah home page when such events occur (and I will
definitely do something like that tonight for Savannah once I get feedback).

Just a thought or to, :-)
Elfyn

On Friday 24 Sep 2004 01:51, FFII wrote:
> Dear FFII (aktiv.ffii.org) supporter,
>
> Friday, September 24, is the first anniversary of the
> plenary vote by the European Parliament that stopped the
> EU Commission's push towards unlimited patentability.
> The Parliament also reaffirmed the limits imposed by the
> European Patent Convention, and expressed the will and the
> deliberate position of the democratic (and "economic") majority
> in the text of the directive.
>
> The European Parliament was the first institution in the
> path of EU legislation that was not dominated by players from
> the patent establishment.  It was the first institution that
> took the concerns of more than 250,000 petitioners (currently
> around 350,000), thousands of European SMEs, a number of recent
> economic studies as well as the opinions of dozens of famous
> scientists into account.
>
> The European Parliament fulfilled its task of democratic
> decision-making so thoroughly that subsequently the patent
> operatives from the Council working group had to reveal their
> exactly opposing intent.  They did so with unprecedented
> effrontery, by removing all essential amendments introduced
> by the Parliament, adding extremist counter amendments,
> and using a very dubious voting procedure for their counter
> proposal on May 18, 2004, in order to produce the semblance
> of a qualified majority.
>
> We ask you to show your support for the position adopted by the
> EP by announcing September 24 as a Day of European Democracy.
> You can do this by including a hyperlinked banner on your web
> page(s).  See http://en.eu.ffii.org/sections/eu_democracy_day
> for details.
>
> If your national government is still officially supporting
> the Council version of the directive, you could also use this
> event to renew contacts to your national MPs, request personal
> meetings, and ask them to put a debate on the EU software
> patent directive on the national parliament's agenda.
>
> No government should support the Council's anti-Parliament
> course without legitimation by its national parliament.
> Every little step towards this goal has substantial permanent
> value.  The EU Democracy Day page mentioned above contains
> some related pointers.
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Holger Blasum, Bernhard Kaindl, Christian Cornelssen
> --
> FFII - Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure
> Home: http://www.ffii.org       Login: https://aktiv.ffii.org
> --
> * Brussels Conference 9-10 Nov 2004:
>   "Regulating Knowledge, Costs, Risks, and Models of Innovation":
>   http://plone.ffii.org/events/2004/test

- --
Elfyn McBratney
beu on irc.freenode.net/savannah.[non]gnu.org

PGP Key ID: 0x456548B4
PGP Key Fingerprint:
  29D5 91BB 8748 7CC9 650F 31FE 6888 0C2A 4565 48B4