Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Project Metaphysical - savannah.non

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Project Metaphysical - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:23:46 +0200

> Robert Nediyakalaparambil <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: other
> Other License: The Free Knowledge Licence
>
> Grants the right for all the people of the world
> To access and share knowledge freely by any means
> And form possible.
>
> (Project Metaphysical)
>

> Copyright (c) 2004 by the Free Education Foundation
>

> - Robert Nediyakalaparambil
> (a.k.a Max Ice / The Poet)
> 16-9-2004 22:12 IST address@hidden
>

> Package: Project Metaphysical
> System name: metaphysical
> Type: non-GNU

> This is going to be the Free Education Project
> That will bring about a social transformation
> Once again this world will become a place where
> Knowledge is free, and the minds are free...
>
> Sorry, for taking up webspace on this network...
>
> GNU is only the safest place I felt to host this...
>
> - Robert Nediyakalaparambil
> 16-9-2004 21:49 IST
> (a.k.a Max Ice / Poet)
>
> Other Software Required:
> This Project is a non software project
> Yet it will depend only on GNU software as a means
> To a beautyful end for mankind...
>
> Other Comments:
> A long journey lies ahead...
> Nothing has been done yet...

I saw a copy of the "Free Knowledge License" at
http://web.archive.org/web/20010806202646/www.freeknowledgelicense.org/Free/FKL/fkl.htm
(the original website appears to be dead), and I see that it is the
GNU GPL with "Software" replaced by "Knowledge". This license is
incompatible with the GNU GPL and the GNU FDL and cannot be used at
Savannah.

We recommand that you release your work under the GNU GPL itself
(accompagning it with a description of what is "source code" and
"object code" in your non-software project), or that you use the GNU
Free Documentation License, which is designed for documentation
instead of software (used, for example, by the Wikipedia).

Also, please reply and include an (perhaps temporary) URL pointing to
the some of your work, if any.  The description you gave when
registering will not be read by the general public.  If you are still
concerned with privacy, however, you can forward the code to me by
email.

We wish to review your work, even if it is not functional, to catch
potential legal issues early.

For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at
the beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help catch
potential omissions such as these.

I wait for your reply.

Sylvain