Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Softainator, a tool to ease softwar

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Softainator, a tool to ease software maintenance - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:28:29 +0200

> Stéphane Gourichon <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Softainator, a tool to ease software maintenance
> System name: softainator
> Type: non-GNU

> Softainator is a small tool that makes life easier for GNU/Linux (and maybe
> other) systems user and administrator.
>
> The main idea is that users declare the software they need once and for all
> in their homedir (they can update the list whenever they want, of course) and
> the system will ensure that all needed software will be available to users,
> filtered by some security checks (e.g. kernel packages are disallowed, the
> admin may disallow packages that install some servers like apache, etc...).
>
> The primary targets are Linux distributions that rely on apt-get or urpmi,
> that is Debian Linux, Mandrakelinux, Red Hat Linux.
>
> This is useful:
> -for sites with numerous machines, as an alternative to network-mounted /usr
> to ensure that all software is available.
> -for quick recovery : install a vanilla system and Maintanator, mount user
> dirs, and all the necessary software will come back quickly.
> -for users that work on many sites : they only have to declare in electronic
> form that they like, say, emacs and icewm and a dozen other, then propagate
> this description to any other place they work (even if the local admin
> doesn't use maintainator he can still read the description and install by
> hand, until he's convinced :-).
>
> You can think of Softainator as a
> "SOFTware mAINtenance administrATOR" (or terminATOR if you like the idea of
> never have to care about software maintenance again :-).
>
> The code, written in Python by Vincent Cuzin, from an idea by Stéphane
> Gourichon, has been in production at the AnimatLab, Computer Science Lab of
> the University of Paris 6 for about two years, serving a dozen of machines
> that have had hard disk problem and system re-install without a pain. Thanks
> to Softainator, all users have become confident to find the software they
> need on any workstation of the pool at any time.
>
> The code currently handles advanced cases, like propagating the declared
> needs between desktop computers always connected and roaming laptops.
>
> It is now in the process of cleaning up and packaging to be distributable to
> other teams in the lab and to the outside world.
> The first versions will be soon posted on savannah.
>

> Other Software Required:
> python, urpmi, rpm, bash (okay, bash is always available :-).

Please reply and include an (perhaps temporary) URL pointing to the
source code.  The description you gave when registering will not be
read by the general public.  If you are still concerned with privacy,
however, you can forward the code to me by email.

We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to
catch potential legal issues early.

For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at the
beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help
catch potential omissions such as these.

Sylvain