[Savannah-hackers] [support #103380] [gnu.org #210909] Savannah MTA seem

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [support #103380] [gnu.org #210909] Savannah MTA seems to request VRFY info before accepting mail
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 16:26:33 -0400

This mail is an automated notification from the support tracker
 of the project: Savannah Administration.

[support #103380] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Mon 10/04/2004 at 20:19 (Europe/Paris)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
          Resolution | None                      | Wont Do
              Status | Open                      | Closed

Reply from Jim:

The GNU.org mail servers perform verification of smtp senders before accepting
mail.  This cuts down on a huge amount of spam, and also ensures that if we
can't deliver the message we can at least send a DSN back to the original
sender.  If you set your SMTP sender correctly your mail will get through.

Which confirms Elfyn's point.

I close this request. Sorry :/

[support #103380] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: Savannah Administration
Submitted by: Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona
On: Mon 09/20/2004 at 22:21

Category:  Mail server

accepting mail

Original Submission:  We are having a user of our mailing lists who is trying
to send mail to it, but the Savannah mail server seems to reject accepting it,
apparently because it is asking for VRFY info to the user's MTA. The user's MTA
dod not support VRFY for security reasons. We wonder whether this VRFY check
can be avoided. This is blocking for us because the messages by that user are
important for the project. The user is address@hidden

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Sat 10/02/2004 at 16:42       By: Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona <jgb>
Find below a copy of the message that got the user. Apparently, it says that
199.232.76.166 (mail.gnu.org) didn't accept the message because of a "Sender
VRFY failed".

tibet.uoc.es is the MTA of the sender's organization.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at tibet.uoc.es.

:
199.232.76.166 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 Sender verify failed
Giving up on 199.232.76.166.

 (clamscan: 0.65. spamassassin: 2.60.  Clear:RC:1(213.73.40.40):.
 Processed in 0.16465 secs); 06 Sep 2004 13:38:18 -0000