Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of LibCVS -- Access CVS through a libr

From: Alaska Subedi
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of LibCVS -- Access CVS through a library. - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:35:02 -0400

address@hidden writes:
 > A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
 >

 > Alexander Taler <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
 > License: fdl
 > Other License:
 > Package: LibCVS -- Access CVS through a library.
 > System name: libcvs
 > Type: GNU

 > LibCVS describes an API for providing access to CVS repositories.
 >
 > This is a documentation project, which will produce a language-independent
 > API description. This API can then be implemented in an appropriate
 > language, and tools can be written which use that library, and the API, to
 > access CVS repositories.
 >
 > The purpose is to ease the process of writing tools to support CVS.  In the
 > long run it would be ideal if the library could provide access to
 > repositories provided by other revision control systems.
 >
 > This documentation project will be followed by language-specific
 > implementation projects.  I wish to separate the projects to make licensing
 > issues easier, and to distribute project management issues.  The common
 > documentation project acts as a communication hub among the implementation
 > projects, allowing them to share improvements to the API and experience in
 > implementing it.
 >
 > LibCVS is already underway.  It is currently hosted at libcvs.cvshome.org.
 > There is a common API description there (currently being overhauled), as
 > well as Perl and Objective-C libraries in development.  The commencement of
 > a C library is in discussion.
 >
 > Sadly the mailing list archives there are not currently working, which is
 > prompting this move to savannah.
 >
 > Other Software Required:
 > The documentation currently uses dia for creating diagrams.  If there is
 > more appropriate free software available, I will gladly switch.
 >
 > Other Comments:

You mentioned that you are planning to separate the projects. I assume
that you are planning to host the documentation project here at
Savannah and the implementation at cvshome.org. But, both the projects
will have same name and it might create confusion. LibCVS
Documentation / LibCVS-doc would be a good name.

I browsed www/ subdirectory of the cvs repository. The files there do
not contain license notification. In order to release your project
properly and unambiguously under the FDL, please place copyright
notices and permission-to-copy statements after the title page of each
work.

In addition, if you haven't already, please copy a copy
of the plain text version of the FDL, available from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.txt, into a file named "COPYING".

For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html and
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-howto.html.

Also, the copyright statements in your files are missing `(C)'.

Please address these issues and we will approve your project.

Thanks,
Alaska Subedi