[Savannah-hackers] submission of BioDB -

From: dmb
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of BioDB -
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:42:21 -0400

A package was submitted to

Dan Bolser <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: BioDB
System name: biodb
Type: non-GNU

This project aims to produce very simple software to produce and maintain a set
of biological databases in relational form. The software will download text
versions of various databases, and produce a 'standardized' relational version
of that database in tab delimited form, suitable for loading into any
relational database system (such as mysql).

The standard versions of these databases can then form components of other

First, the SCOP databases will be 'processed'
( which is open access.

We will then consider looking at ENZYME (,
SwissProt ( and GO (,
based on the evaluation of the licence.

Initally Perl will be used.

This rather simple project may form a test bed for the new experimental
software language, Prova.

Other Software Required:
Mandarax (
Prova (

Other Comments:
I previously submitted this project some time last year. SCOP is freely
available and open source (the old licence has elapsed). Prova is LPGL. The
code is trivial.