Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of openSkat - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Heiko Stamer
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of openSkat - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:18:19 +0200

Dear Jonathan,

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 08:01:25PM -0300, Jonathan Gonzalez V. wrote:

> I saw that in one of dependence of openSkat project you use xskat,
> we're trying to find out if is a GPL-Compatible license or not.

Only the graphical user interface 'openSkat_gui' depends on xskat.
I can remove the whole xskat code, if such a dependency is a problem.

(Actually I should provide a native IRC server interface. Then the
user can choose xskat and use openSkat as a backend for security.)

> In the other hand can you look for another name to your project?

Do you have any suggestions? 'FreeSkat' sounds a little bit strange
and may be in some sense misleading.

> This is because we supports projects of the Free Software movement,
> not projects of the Open Source movement.

I understand your concerns. However, in this case the prefix 'open'
should be considered more from a cryptographical rather than from
philosophical point of view. Nevertheless, if the community has
a better name suggestion ...

> On the other hand we wish to review your source code, even if it is
> not functional, to catch potential legal issues early.

Of course. You can obtain the sources from a (temporary) CVS server.

        cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/var/cvs login
        cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/var/cvs co openSkat

> For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
> include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at the
> beginning of every file of source code.

Now I have added some missing statements in the files. :-)

> Our review would help catch potential omissions such as these.

This might be very helpful. If you there are any question concerning the
code please contact me.

Thanks for your advice.
Yours sincerely,
--
Heiko Stamer, <address@hidden>
`Voices` from /usr/src/linux-2.2.19/drivers/net/sunhme.c:333: