[Savannah-hackers] Re: [gnu.org #215181] GNU GPL plug-in for Eclipse

From: address@hidden via RT
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [gnu.org #215181] GNU GPL plug-in for Eclipse
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:27:32 -0500

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 08:20 -0500, Sylvain Beucler via RT wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently approved this project:
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/cashew-s
>
> I told the user it was possible to write a plug-in for Eclipse (under
> the Eclipse Public License) and release it under the GNU GPL using an
> exception as described at
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs
>
> My approval is here:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2004-11/msg00550.html
>
> However, I now wonder whether such linking is possible.
>
> Let's consider an hypothetical license "anti-GPL" that permits any
> kind of use except combinaison with GNU GPL'd program. If I release a
> GPL'd plug-in for a piece of software released under the anti-GPL,
> adding an exception to my plug-in will not be enough to combine the
> two programs.
>
> So my questions are:
> - Is using an exception enough to combine any GPL-incompatible
>   software with GPL'd software?
> - If not, is it possible to release an GPL'd plug-in for Eclipse?

The Eclipse people don't believe that plug-ins are derivative works of
the main program.  We do.  So, they think they permit this, and we think
they don't.  To make this clear, I'm talking to them about getting an
explicit exception in place to allow this.

Until then, we think such linking violates their license.

--
-Dave Turner
GPL Compliance Engineer