Re: [Savannah-hackers] file-cache not working anymore

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] file-cache not working anymore
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:11:17 +0100

>     When we received asked us to remove their account, we remove it
>     completely, we do not have records. Isn't there some law telling us to
>     do this, on user request?
>
> No, there isn't.
>
> If a person has not contributed to anything in a way that records the
> attribution through the user id, so that his user id is not pointed to
> from any permanent Savannah file, then it is ok to truly expunge the
> account.
>
> Otherwise, we should always keep the person's email address and full
> name as it was given to us, and record it as associated with his user
> id.  We can delete all the rest if the person wishes.
>
> In this kind of case, we should not reuse the user id ever if we can
> avoid it.  (I don't know how many bits a user id has, so I don't know
> when we may be compelled to recycle old user ids.)

user_id is stored on INT, so we can get to ~2.10^9. Moreover, it is
auto_incremented by the database.

I am worrying about reusing usernames, though. I'll try to store the
deleted users in another table at a point.

Keeping the e-mail address when the user asks to delete the account
surprises me, but as the user will be clearly marked as deleted, it
should be ok.

>     If not, maybe we can simply mark the users as "deleted", the system
>     should not try to delete them during auto-clean-ups.
>
> If that would achieve more or less the results described above (for
> the second case), then please do that.
>
> If that won't work, then please find another solution, if necessary
> getting help from sysadmin.  If you have trouble finding and adopting
> another solution that works, please get back to me and say you need
> help.

Marking the users as deleted will be enough.

--
Sylvain