[Savannah-hackers] Unbundling of NhProxy and licensing arrangements

From: J. Ali Harlow
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Unbundling of NhProxy and licensing arrangements
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:31:08 +0000

Dear Slash'EM Development Team,

As I'm sure you know, I'm in the process of unbundling NhProxy from Slash'EM with a view to creating a new package which will be useable by both vanilla NetHack and by external interfaces which aren't themselves part of Slash'EM (eg., Clive's various interfaces). My hope is to host nhproxy on savannah and I am currently discussing the copyright and licensing issues with the savannah hackers.

The Slash'EM Development Team is currently listed as the copyright holder for the NhProxy files (I did this in an attempt to make it easier for others to contribute, though noone did in the end). I would like to release these files under both the NetHack General Public License (as currently) and the GNU Lesser Public License. This latter will allow external interfaces to use NhProxy without needing to be licensed under the NetHack General Public License themselves.

I would be very grateful, therefore, if you could each give your permission for this re-licensing to occur so that there can be no question in the future as to legality of what I'm trying to do.

Many thanks,

Ali.