[Savannah-hackers] submission of Ramon - A RMON2 Network Monitoring Agen

From: rnsanchez
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Ramon - A RMON2 Network Monitoring Agent - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:01:57 -0500

Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez <address@hidden> described the package as
follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Ramon - A RMON2 Network Monitoring Agent
System name: ramon
Type: non-GNU

The project is the first known implementation of a free and open source
RMON2 network monitoring agent.
As the name suggests, it is a software agent to monitor network traffic,
and gather statistics regarding OSI layers 3 to 7, as proposed by the IETF
standard RFC-2021.
For network admins and/or researches, perhaps it's the only mean to get
in touch with this kind of network monitoring agent, as there are many
commercial implementations (even hardware based).  As it's software based
and free, one only needs a cheap PC station (it runs on expensive PCs too,
and better) connected to an ethernet network.
It is not intended to spy or steal network ata, only to traffic
characterization as proposed by the IETF RFC.
This is yet on development stage, but is very functional.
The agent also has an extended mode of operation, where it analyses
protocol iterations which are programmed by a manager using the PTSL
language.  This language was proposed by my teacher and research leader on
his PhD thesis, and is intended to be of free use.

The monitoring agent partially depends on libcurl, which is not a
strict-GPL library.  As I am the project leader, I can work on its removal
if it violates the GPL licence in any way.

RFC-2021: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2021.txt
PTSL: http://mutuca.metropoa.tche.br/Publications/tese_Luciano.ps.gz
RMON2 latest CVS snapshot (source code):
http://mutuca.metropoa.tche.br/~rnsanchez/rmon2_00027.tar.gz

Other Software Required:
* GNU Make
* GNU gcc
* GNU Flex
* Yacc
* libpcap
* posix threads
* Net-SNMP, only if one wants to access data via SNMP
* CURL, only if running the extended mode
  * CURL is available at: http://curl.haxx.se/
* GNU Pth as optional threads library
* Doxygen, if one wants to generate the source documentation

Other Comments:
This is a re-register.
I've managed to fix all pendencies pointed by Jonathan Gonzalez:

* Move from the 'small program' to 'program' license notice model
* Include license on top of files where it was missing
* Removed year ranges
* Fixed copyrights year to reflect the current year of release

Please send any comments to both emails of mine:
  address@hidden
  address@hidden

On the first registration I didn't receive any messages, only the last
one when my project was removed from the pending queue.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/