[Savannah-hackers] submission of eev - savannah.gnu.org

From: edrx
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of eev - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 02:33:41 -0500

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Eduardo Ochs <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: eev
System name: eev
Type: GNU

Eev adds support for "e-scripts" in Emacs.

A typical e-script is a plain text file containg bits of text and
chunks of code intended to be interpreted by several different
programs. There's no way to execute a whole e-script file at once;
instead, the user interactively selects parts of it while he is
editing the e-script in Emacs - these parts can be the current line,
Emacs's "region", everything before and after the cursor until certain
delimiters strings are found, etc -, and then asks Emacs to either
execute those parts as Lisp code, or to save them into a temporary
script file (to be run in a shell or in a shell-like program), or to
send them immediately as input to some external program, or to process it
in some other way; the underlying idea is that we should be able to
"record" all kinds of
textual interactions with the machine in e-scripts, in ways that will
let us "play back" these interactions later - maybe with modifications
- and to share them with other people. E-scripts may be a more
powerful way to communicate actions and procedures than either
finished programs or texts and how-tos, which usually describe most of
the steps using human languages.

Some of the actions that we can record are like hyperlinks, in a
sense. For example: opening up a certain info node in the zsh
documentation and searching for the first occurrence of the string
"=(...)" - the elisp expression

  (find-zshnode "Process Substitution" "=(...)")

does the job, and note that you can even put that, say, inside a
comment in a block of shell commands; code for a language can appear
inside code for another language - and so we don't need to quote portions
of external texts inside an e-script; instead, we can point directly to the
original sources. Eev defines many kinds of "hyperlinks" like these: for
text files, for info manuals, for manpages, for ps/pdf/dvi/html files, for
the output of shell commands, for Emacs's own source code in Lisp or in C,
for Debian packages, for images, and a few others.

The current URL for eev (both source and documentation) is
<http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/README.html>.

Other Software Required:
Emacs, Expect.

Other Comments:
The copyright of eev has already been assigned to the FSF - since 1999 or
2000. It almost became a part of Emacs at that time, but there were some
technical (not legal) issues that had to be resolved. Then I spent several
years too busy with real-world things :( and I'm only returning to its
development with full force now.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/