Re: [Savannah-hackers] How to create projects CVS submodules

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] How to create projects CVS submodules
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 22:31:27 +0100

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:42:28PM +0100, NOULARD Eric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am (one of) project admin of the TSP non gnu project
> (http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tsp)
> we want to create several CVS submodules which
> should stay side-by-side with the actual
> 'tsp' one.
>
> now we have:
> CVS_REPODIR/CVSROOT
> CVS_REPODIR/tsp
>
> we may (still thinking about the names)
>
> CVS_REPODIR/CVSROOT
> CVS_REPODIR/tsp
> CVS_REPODIR/tsp_docs
> CVS_REPODIR/tsp_externals
>
> Then we may easily checkout any part of the TSP.
> Mostly documentation/source/externals for now.
>
> This 'split' would make the CVS tree more
> modular and 'lighter' to use.
>
> I know we may use CVSROOT/modules for 'faking'
> that behavior, but then I won't be able
> to avoid checking out the whole tree.
>
> In fact the operation we want to do may be viewed
> as a CVS tree 'refactoring' in order to modularize
> a CVS tree which is not.
>
> What do you suggest us?
> What is possible and what is not?

If all you want to do create new top-level directories like this:

> CVS_REPODIR/CVSROOT
> CVS_REPODIR/tsp
> CVS_REPODIR/tsp_docs
> CVS_REPODIR/tsp_externals

Then it is pretty simple.

One way is to checkout the entire tree using
mkdir wd
cd wd
cvs -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/tsp co .
mkdir tsp_docs tsp_externals
cvs add tsp_docs tsp_externals

and then populate the two new directories. Once this is done, you can
checkout each module independently.

Another way is to use the 'cvs import' command, and specify an
appropriate module name (see the doc by typing 'info cvs', "Creating a
directory tree from a number of files").

Is this what you wanted?

--
Sylvain