RE: [Savannah-help-public] migrating FreeType to savannah

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [Savannah-help-public] migrating FreeType to savannah
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:28:02 +0100

Salut,

I just tried this, and received the following message when using
the project name "FreeType" with system name "freetype"

  "Project name taken : a project with that name already exists ;"

however, nothing like this appears when I look at the project listing.
Even using "freet*" as a search pattern returns a single project,
which is 'freetrack' ?

Should I assume that Werner already registered the project, but that
it doesn't appear because the registration is still "in process" ?

Another possibility is the fact that I registered as user "freetype".
Maybe there is a clash between user and project names that I've not
been warned about.

If so, what's the correct thing to do ?

> At first glance, since the project is dual licensed, there should not
> be a problem with the BSD-style license.
>
> As for importing, just provide us, once the project is approved, with
> links to the CVS tarballs and to the mboxes, and we will take care of
> it. Note that we only provide 2 CVS _repositories_ (sources and
> webpages), so maybe we'll have to transform some repositories into
> modules.

That's not a problem. We used to host our web pages on the main CVS
repository, but it should be trivial to import them in another base
(and we're not exactly interested in having exact history for this
kind of data).

We should be able to send you the tarballs very soon. (i.e. today
if everything works well).

By the way, what's incompatible with the GPL is the following clause
in the FreeType license:

    o Redistribution in binary form must provide a  disclaimer  that
      states  that  the software is based in part of the work of the
      FreeType Team,  in  the  distribution  documentation.  We also
      encourage you to put an URL to the FreeType web page  in  your
      documentation, though this isn't mandatory.

that's because it _mandates_ that you put a disclaimer in the documentation.
Technically speaking, that is an additionnal restriction compared to the
GPL. And the GPL explicitely prohibits them (see Section 4). I believe there's
even a web page on the GNU web site that explains this in more details.

Hope this helps, and thanks in advance,

- David Turner