[Savannah-help-public] [sr #104924] Arch repository for the ArX project

From: Walter Landry
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #104924] Arch repository for the ArX project
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:33:23 +0000

> The main issue with providing vanilla sFTP access, is that
> any project member can modify your project history. That's
> why we provide partial sftp access.

It is ok for project members to modify history.  There is even a command in
ArX for that.  It doesn't modify what is on my hard drive, and is easy enough
to fix.  That is a large part of the point of distributed version control
systems.  If a project member continues to cause problems, then I eject them
from the project.

> I see that ArX is a fork from larch and not tla; how much
> compatible are the archive formats?

Not at all.

> The problem with supporting a GNU Arch variant is that
> there's no reason, then, we do not support the others. For
> example, in the event we provide ArchZoom, we'd have to
> replace tla by baz to support baz-style archives. It's
> also possible we have to tweak sftp some more to support
> the Arch variants.
>
> That's why, afaimc, I'd rather stick with GNU Arch v1.x.
> While, possibly, provide an experimental, distinct area
> for other SCMs, provided we have the manpower for it
> (that's the benefit of sticking with a stable release:
> updates are rare and benign :))

I am willing to help out.  It would be helpful if I could look at your sftp
server hacks.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailitem&item_id=104924>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/