Re: [Savannah-help-public] Ads in GPL projects

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Ads in GPL projects
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:54:43 +0100

Hi,

At Savannah we have the following hosting policy:

In general, you may not advertise anything commercial on a site hosted
here. However, as exceptions, you can point people to commercial
support offerings for your Free Software project, and you can mention
fan items about your Free Software project that you sell directly to
the users."

However that doesn't apply to the software per se.

We think it is acceptable for your software to display ads, especially
since they can easily be removed by the users.

However, these ads cannot be hosted at Savannah, so you need to fetch
them from somewhere else (nor can you include them with the software
package).

If you wish to thank Savannah, the FSF will be glad to accept a
donation from you :)
https://www.fsf.org/donate

I don't know of any legal issues with displaying advertising in GNU
GPL'd software.

--
Sylvain Beucler