[Savannah-help-public] Re: [sr #105214] GFDL policy

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] Re: [sr #105214] GFDL policy
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 21:22:29 +0100

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 05:40:28PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
>     Please remember the last gnu-prog-discuss "leak" wrt Thomas Bushnell and
> do
>     not copy messages from private mailing lists :)
>
> Sure.  I don't think there is anything secret about what rms wrote, it's
> going to all be public anyway, or I wouldn't have quoted it.

Well, the issue is that is was a message from the conversation, not
the last one, and people tend to jump on such message and extrapolate
all kind of things. We just experienced such an issue.

I'd like this kind of conversation to be public, but unfortunately
it's difficult for RMS to make any public statement without the above
side effect, so we accepted to stay private for such conversation.

However, once a conversation is private, there's no way out: if we
need to make a public statement, we need to rephrase.

Well, in this particular case, apparently nobody "jumped" on your
quote, so maybe this is a bit too strict from my part.

>     Afaicr the final word was "let's see what the current situation
>     actually is" - and given the result, "let's contact the project
>     admins".
>
> Well, my understanding was that there were two basic things to do:
>
> 1) what you write above: contact the maintainers of the various projects
> with the problematic licenses -- I need the project lists, and ideally
> maintainers, to do that.  No question that that whole process will take
> a lot of time.

I suggest "mass mailing". This is not a critical issue IMHO and as I
said we're already busy with the project approvals. Do you think we
could get help for that particular task from somebody else? Unlike
project approvals, this is a "zero-neuron" job.

> 2) Make a clear statement of the policy, presumably on the new project
> page that I referred to, probably other places as well.
>
>     We'll update the documentation and project reviews are already
>     taking that into account, but we have a bit of backlog right now so
>     since there's no need to hurry right now,
>
> Ok, fair enough.  Please tell me and/or rms when it's done, ok?  He
> will want to know.

I'll update savannah.gnu.org/register/ as well as the FAQ right now.

The statement you were thinking is the frontpage news item I posted
and updated frmo RMS comments last month.

What is expected from you for this job, btw? Does RMS expect you to
supervise this? You were Cc:ed on this issue from the beginning but I
don't know really why :) Maybe you had an anterior conversation?

--
Sylvain