[Savannah-help-public] Fw: [Groff] Spam

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] Fw: [Groff] Spam
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 23:30:31 +0200 (CEST)

Perhaps you can add some comments...

    Werner
--- Begin Message --- Subject: RE: [Groff] Spam Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:50:49 +0100 (BST)
On 01-Jul-06 walter harms wrote:
> hi people,
> i get a bunch of spam since a few days via this list.
>
> Am i the only  one or have some more people seen spam also ?
>
> re,
>   wh

I should think everyone has. And not just the last few days.
Last Thu-Fri (22-23 June) I got 12 such messages.
Then Tue-Wed (27-28 June) I got 17 of them.

I also received a number later in the week but simply deleted
them without inspection.

All the above-itemised emails were sent to the list with "From:"
addresses like

  Williams <address@hidden>

with various other names also in place of "Williams", like
"Darla", "Dave", "Molly", "Harriet" ... , but they all have
"address@hidden".

Of course, "address@hidden" is our Werner Lemberg, which is why
these messages were allowed through to the list, since Werner
is of course subscribed to the list.

These "From:" addresses are of course forged, and no blame
whatsoever can be attributed to Werner.

But this forgery also means that it is impossible to prevent
them coming through to the list -- unless perhaps (in view of
their content) they could be trapped by a spam-filter. Whether
that is a reasonable option is something for the list managers
at gnu.org to consider.

For what it's worth, during the second phase (27-28) above,
I also received additional copies of some of these directly to
my email address (i.e. not via the list). For example: