Re: [Savannah-help-public] Redirecting bug-gnu-emacs to emacsbugs

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Redirecting bug-gnu-emacs to emacsbugs
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 00:20:14 +0100

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 09:01:48AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>  > >>>>> "Sylvain" == Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> writes:
>  > > On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 09:55:11PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>  > >> >> All email sent to address@hidden should not go to Mailman,
>  > >> >> but instead it should be forwarded to
>  > >> >> address@hidden
>  > >> >>
>  > >> >> Then all mail currently sent from Emacsbugs to the
>  > >> >> address@hidden mailing list should be distributed to
>  > >> >> the members of the bug-gnu-emacs mailing list.
>
>  > >> > Well, there's no magic. The only working
>  > >> > "address@hidden" adress is "address@hidden",
>  > >> > so if you want to make that one point to somewhere else, we need to
>  > >> > rename the Mailman mailing list.
>
> I don't think this is true.  AFAIK Mailman knows nothing and cares
> less about the envelope recipient.
>
> So you should currently have an alias (sendmail-style, and I'm kinda
> guessing here, depends on Mailman version and suchlike)
>
> bug-gnu-emacs:                "|/var/lib/mailman/bin/mailman post
> bug-gnu-emacs"
>
> Change that to
>
> bug-gnu-emacs:                address@hidden
> bug-gnu-emacs-really: "|/var/lib/mailman/bin/mailman post bug-gnu-emacs"
>
> Obviously you need the right configuration of the debbugs program at
> emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com, pointing back to "bug-gnu-emacs-really".
> Season nomenclature to taste (-recipients made line-length 82 columns ;-).
>
> Note that you now have three addresses where spam can get into the
> pipeline.  I don't know how these "internal" addresses leak out, but
> they sometimes do.  So you may wish to restrict the envelope sender to
> bug-gnu-emacs-really to be "emacsbugs".  You probably also want to
> ensure that traffic to "submit" always goes via the "bug-gnu-emacs"
> alias, or you need to make "address@hidden" be an
> alias of bug-gnu-emacs in the Mailman interface.

Hi,

We don't have root access to the lists.gnu.org computer, so this kind
of thing is outside our reach. Please contact address@hidden to see
if they can do something.

Consider that lists.gnu.org hosts thousands of lists - this is
mass-hosting. There isn't a series of hand-made aliases, but a set of
custom Exim rules that deliver all @gnu.org and @nongnu.org to Mailman
or other places (such as fencepost) dependending on various factors.

--
Sylvain