[Savannah-help-public] progress -> ssh login from behind firewall fails

From: Peter Hoppe
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] progress -> ssh login from behind firewall fails
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 02:20:37 +0100

Dear sir or madam,

I am registered user with Savannah (username = peter20080727) and am part of
the traverso project. I tried to check the
project out from cvs using ssh. In an earlier mail I wrote about connection
difficulties using an ssh login.

When looking more into the issue I found that I could log in using PuTTY (on
wine) - I got the 'command not allowed'
message, but nevermind, it was still a login. This lead me to the conclusion
that the problem must lie with OpenSSH. So
I looked on google using 'openssh nat login hangs' and found this post:

> (http://marc.info/?l=secure-shell&m=118520918019189&w=2)
> > [...]
> >
> > OpenSSH sets the IP TOS (to either "lowdelay" or "throughput") and some
> > some routers have been known to choke on such packets.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > The TOS is set immediately after the TCP_NODELAY so it's a pretty good
> > bet that's your culprit.
> >
> > As a workaround, you can recompile ssh then you can insert a "return;"
> > at the start of packet_set_tos() in packet.c.  Alternatively you can use
> > ssh's ProxyCommand to use a program such as netcat as an alternative
> > transport that doesn't set those bits, eg:
> >
> >     ssh -o "ProxyCommand nc %h %p" yourserver
> > [...]

So I tried this command (I have netcat installed), and this is the output:

> > address@hidden:~$ ssh -o "ProxyCommand nc %h %p" address@hidden
> > Enter passphrase for key '/home/peter/.ssh/id_dsa':
> > Last login: Tue Jul 29 00:58:46 2008 from 84.12.100.239
> > You tried to execute:
> > Sorry, you are not allowed to execute that command.
> > Connection to cvs.savannah.gnu.org closed.

So I had a login. Never mind that savannah locks me out immediately - it's set
up that way! I am indeed behind a d-link
adsl router with NAT and Firewall enabled, and it must have choked on OpenSSH
setting the TOS. This means that I now
have to find a way of telling ssh through cvs not to set the IP TOS.

I thought I better report this, as it may help you if other people ask the same
question.