Re: [Savannah-help-public] Project Hosting Statistics

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Project Hosting Statistics
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:39:48 +0200

Hi,

mysql> SELECT license, count(*) FROM groups GROUP BY license;
+---------------+----------+
| license       | count(*) |
+---------------+----------+
| NULL          |        1 |
| affero        |        6 |
| agpl          |        5 |
| cartistic     |        3 |
| classpath     |        1 |
| dual-gpl      |        2 |
| expat         |       11 |
| fdl           |       89 |
| gpl           |     2263 |
| gplv3orlater  |      186 |
| lgpl          |      211 |
| mbsd          |       62 |
| none          |        1 |
| other         |       75 |
| perl          |        9 |
| public domain |        6 |
| python2       |        1 |
| website       |       51 |
| x11           |       13 |
| zlib          |        3 |
+---------------+----------+

Please note:
------------
that we only check the project license during the initial
registration. License changes are moderated by us, but if a project
change its license in the source code without telling us, then this
won't reflect on those stats. For example, if a project switched from
'expat' to 'gpl' without asking us to update the license field, then
the statistic (and the project description at Savannah) will be
wrong.

There's an exception for this: people can upgrade from 'gpl' to
'gplv3orlater' without moderation, but again, it's up to developers to
make sure the license field is up-to-date.

Last, the license field describe the main license only. For example,
if a GPL project has GFDL documentation, the license will be
'gpl'. Projects counted under 'fdl' are documentation-only projects.

If you're interested in GNU/nonGNU:
mysql> SELECT license, group_type.name, count(*)
    -> FROM groups JOIN group_type ON type = group_type.type_id
    -> GROUP BY type, license;
+---------------+----------------------------------+----------+
| license       | name                             | count(*) |
+---------------+----------------------------------+----------+
| NULL          | Official GNU software            |        1 |
| affero        | Official GNU software            |        1 |
| agpl          | Official GNU software            |        2 |
| classpath     | Official GNU software            |        1 |
| dual-gpl      | Official GNU software            |        1 |
| fdl           | Official GNU software            |       16 |
| gpl           | Official GNU software            |      220 |
| gplv3orlater  | Official GNU software            |       74 |
| lgpl          | Official GNU software            |       19 |
| mbsd          | Official GNU software            |        1 |
| none          | Official GNU software            |        1 |
| other         | Official GNU software            |       20 |
| website       | Official GNU software            |        2 |
| x11           | Official GNU software            |        1 |
| affero        | non-GNU software & documentation |        5 |
| agpl          | non-GNU software & documentation |        3 |
| cartistic     | non-GNU software & documentation |        3 |
| dual-gpl      | non-GNU software & documentation |        1 |
| expat         | non-GNU software & documentation |       11 |
| fdl           | non-GNU software & documentation |       66 |
| gpl           | non-GNU software & documentation |     2027 |
| gplv3orlater  | non-GNU software & documentation |      109 |
| lgpl          | non-GNU software & documentation |      191 |
| mbsd          | non-GNU software & documentation |       61 |
| other         | non-GNU software & documentation |       53 |
| perl          | non-GNU software & documentation |        9 |
| public domain | non-GNU software & documentation |        6 |
| python2       | non-GNU software & documentation |        1 |
| website       | non-GNU software & documentation |        2 |
| x11           | non-GNU software & documentation |       12 |
| zlib          | non-GNU software & documentation |        3 |
| fdl           | www.gnu.org portion              |        1 |
| gpl           | www.gnu.org portion              |        4 |
| gplv3orlater  | www.gnu.org portion              |        1 |
| lgpl          | www.gnu.org portion              |        1 |
| other         | www.gnu.org portion              |        2 |
| website       | www.gnu.org portion              |       23 |
| fdl           | GUG                              |        2 |
| gpl           | GUG                              |        4 |
| website       | GUG                              |        4 |
| fdl           | www.gnu.org translation team     |        4 |
| gpl           | www.gnu.org translation team     |        8 |
| gplv3orlater  | www.gnu.org translation team     |        2 |
| website       | www.gnu.org translation team     |       20 |