Re: [Savannah-help-public] CVS Instructions link -> https

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] CVS Instructions link -> https
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 16:46:07 -0600

http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/administration/content/gnu-content/?root=administration
    which I already pointed afaicr.

Yes, you did.  Sorry for my suboptimal behavior.  I knew it was bad, but ...

    I think you want to do a number of things by yourself, but forget how
    to do it by the next time you need it.

... exactly right.  I wanted to send the suggestion while I was thinking
about it (to get feedback at least), since finding your old mail and
doing all the subsequent things would have taken days.

    Over-documenting it in the wiki will make it harder to find info
    because of the noise effect, and make it more likely to get outdated
    there.  So I'm wondering if you have suggestions about this.

Do you mean "overdocumenting" version control systems on savannah, or
savannah itself?

If VC systems, I wasn't imagining giving any details on how to use all
the VC's.  Just a wiki page that says "savannah supports these VC's:
cvs, bzr, svn, hg, git, <whatever>" with links to more info on each --
probably their home pages, or other external web pages, or the wiki
pages if they are useful.

In general, it doesn't seem like CVS is so important these days that
"CVS Instructions" should be in the navbar.  It made sense when CVS was
the only VC.