[Savannah-help-public] [sr #107270] Download can't handle an "index.html

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #107270] Download can't handle an "index.html" file
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:36:12 +0000

Update of sr #107270 (project administration):

             Assigned to:                    None => karl

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hi Peter,

I'm puzzled.  Right now when I go to
http://mirrors.zerg.biz/nongnu/autoconf-archive/ I get your index page, not an
error.  Not that an error would surprise me; depends on how the mirrors have
done their setup, which is not under our control.

If you delete the index.html from savannah, it should disappear from the
mirrors too.  They're supposed to be exact copies (rsync --delete), not just
"augmented forever" copies.

We could ask the mirror admins to use IndexOptions NameWidth=* (I wish this
was the default), but it's not likely that all, or perhaps any, of them will
do it, since they all have their own ways of handling mirrors.  I'll add it to
our page of recommendations anyway, though.

The best idea I have for now is for you to upload symlinks (with short-enough
names) for the latest releases, so that at least those will be visible on the
download page.  And of course you could link to them from the "real" a-a web
pages.

Hope this helps somehow.  Thanks,
Karl

P.S. Am reviewing for GNU-ness too :).