[Savannah-help-public] [sr #107888] Need to reset GNU stow master branch

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #107888] Need to reset GNU stow master branch
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:41:22 +0000

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: address@hidden
        Operating System: GNU/Linux
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Hi there,

I have just been made maintainer of GNU Stow, and am about to make the first
public release since 2002.  I have resurrected old commit history from the old
CVS repository, rebased the never-published commits from 2003-2008 from the
existing savannah git master branch onto it, cleaned up these commits,
separated experimental commits onto a separate branch, and then authored
almost 100 new commits.  Therefore my master branch, which is the project's
official master from now on, is not a fast-forward from the existing, but due
to savannah preventing non-fast-forward changes to master, I cannot re-point
master at the correct commit.  Please advise how I can do this.

I am an experienced git user and fully aware of the implications of trying to
do this, but this is an exception to the rule because noone has been actively
developing Stow except me since 2009.

Thanks!

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107888>

  Message sent via/by Savannah