[savannah-help-public] [sr #109411] extend documentation: how to submit

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109411] extend documentation: how to submit patches
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 14:35:04 -0500 (EST)

Update of sr #109411 (project administration):

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hello René.  Thank you for your interest in improving Savannah.  It is
greatly appreciated.

> To me it seems that there is no documentation for users how to submit
patches at:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/FrontPage/

The page you were looking for was this one below.  This is specifically for
the documentation you are looking at improving.  Other projects will have
different practices.

https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToAdminThisWiki/

For other projects you should consult the project page for each project as
each is uniquely different depending upon the author's wishes.  I saw that you
referenced several other sources about various things.  Each of those were
different projects.  Each would be uniquely different.  Some will want patches
emailed to the mailing list.  Some will want them attached to a bug tracking
system in a ticket.  Others something different.  For Savannah we prefer
patches sent to the savannah-hackers-public AT gnu DOT org mailing list.  The
mailing list is the easiest venue to interact with everyone.

"Pull Requests" are not a git thing.  They are a GitHub thing.  And
unfortunately GitHub is not free(dom) software.  Because Savannah is a
free(dom) software forge for libre software we promote and most of us only use
libre free(dom) software.  GitHub cannot be used using only libre software
preventing many developers from making use of it.  Therefore most developers
prefer patches to be emailed to their mailing lists for review and inclusion.

I believe the document above answers your questions in this ticket.  Therefore
I am closing the ticket.  But please add more information to it as needed.
Please consider sending email to the mailing list however as it is easier to
interact there.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109411>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/