[savannah-help-public] Maxmind GeoIP database updates

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [savannah-help-public] Maxmind GeoIP database updates
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 15:25:28 -0600

Savannah Hackers,

I don't know much about how the Maxmind GeoIP database is used in the
Savannah ecosystem.  I know that vcs and download both make use of it
and there is a cronjob that periodically downloads the database.  I
assume this has been in place for long enough that it is using the
original GeoIP database and not GeoIP2.

Today I happened upon this:

  https://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/geolite/

  Updated versions of the GeoLite Legacy databases are now only
  available to redistribution license customers, although anyone can
  continue to download the March 2018 GeoLite Legacy builds. Starting
  January 2, 2019, the last build will be removed from our
  website. GeoLite Legacy database users will need to switch to the
  GeoLite2 or commercial GeoIP databases and update their integrations
  by January 2, 2019.

  https://support.maxmind.com/geolite-legacy-discontinuation-notice/

  We have decided to discontinue our GeoLite Legacy databases effective
  January 2, 2019. We will stop updating the databases before that date
  (see “General Information” below), and the databases will no longer be
  available for download on January 2, 2019. This was a difficult
  decision for us and we have created this page to provide more
  information and answer any immediate questions you may have.

...[[need to switch to GeoIP2]]...

Which means we need to add this to the todo list of things needed to
be addressed.  I am just making some noise about it here so that we
are aware of it.

Bob