Re: [savannah-help-public] 502: Fetching FreeType

From: armin
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] 502: Fetching FreeType
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 00:00:13 +0200

>> Jesus Christ ... I'm sorry to hear that!  All the best with locking
>> them out, no worries, take all the time it takes + thanks for the update!
>
> You know how it goes.  It is why we can't have nice things.  :-(

*hug*

>> Just a quick question:  do you think switching to git:// would help
>> (you and/or us)?
>
> If you are using http:// now then switching to git:// would seem to be
> equivalent.  Should avoid the current brownout problem.  Until and unless
the
> attackers start hitting the git:// side of things too.  Or instead of.

Alright, I'll try that then ... and ultimately saves a few clones (maybe up
to 100 on productive days) via the attack vector per day.

> (A lot of people consider both http:// and git:// insecure since they are
not
> encrypted.  But git uses SHA1 hashes through the chain.  I think it would
be
> very hard to change something in a way that isn't
> detected.)

Yeah cloning via http is bad anyways (I don't really know how that happened
tbh), about time to tackle that.

> At some point in the future probably only encrypted, authenticated,
authorized
> protocols might be acceptable.  Anonymity has challenges.

Using ssh is always somewhat of a hassle however (esp. in combination with
automated tools) ...

> It's a hostile world out there.  (Have you read Lord of the Flies
> recently?)

Haha, it's been a while but yes, I get it, I agree.