[Savannah-register-public] [task #3957] Submission of Perplex Library

From: Mike Melanson
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #3957] Submission of Perplex Library
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 03:48:19 +0000

Thanks for the approval.

Trust me, I am quite familiar with the sync problems in several of the
downloadable Animatrix short films. I know exactly why it happens but it is
often tricky to hack around the problem. Hopefully, the QuickTime demuxer in
this new library will provide an adequate interface that will allow client
engines to easily handle the issues encountered in the files (technically,
the Animatrix files are perfectly valid, but QT is a big standard and most
demuxers pick and choose subsets to implement; most opted not to support the
features needed to sync this file correctly).

QT and Real are both 'open' specs. 'Open' should be a red-flag word as the
file formats are just open frameworks in which to transport chunks of data
encoded with proprietary algorithms. Both formats, and many others, can be
found here:

http://multimedia.cx/formats.html

See also libquicktime.sf.net and openquicktime.org to see plenty of open
source support for QuickTime as a container format.

Flash is another beast altogether, and full Flash support is not planned for
the first version of this new API. Flash generally has a lot to do with user
interaction. The first revision of this API will concentrate on playing files
in a straight line with no user interaction beyond seeking to discrete points
on that line.

BTW, if you are interested in the issues surrounding multimedia support on
Linux, and have an hour to spare, you may wish to check out my presentation
called "Multimedia On Linux: Past, Present, and Future". Slides, audio, and
video are all linked here:

http://multimedia.cx/eggs/index.php?p=3

Thanks again...

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=3957>