[Savannah-register-public] [task #4163] Submission of CDs for Grabs

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4163] Submission of CDs for Grabs
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:00:02 +0000

[Please use this tracker
https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4163 to post your
answers]

Hi,

Your projects meets the Savannah requirements, except that we cannot review
your source code yet.

We can approve it, and review the code in the near future (or better, at your
request). We will among other check if the source files contain appropriate
copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at the beginning of every
file of source code. Our review would help catch potential legal issues
early.

If then the source code does not meet our requirements (for example, non-free
dependencies), we will then discuss the issue and possibly remove the project
from Savannah.

Is this ok for you?

You wrote:
---
Thanks for your reply.

Quoting Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden>:

> Could you precise me how this database will work? Will it be only a LaTeX
> file?

This is a documentation project and it is basically a book. We will have a
table
of contents for different countries. Within each country list, we will have
list of different states within the country; within each state, we will have
different cities. The cities will contain records with:

- person's name
- set of CDs available and number of CDs in each set
  For example, Fedora Core (4 CDs).
- Contact: e-mail or phone number

Because we are doing it in LaTeX, the end-user can download .ps, .html or
.pdf
formats. We can also separate the book chapters into various countries, so
end
users can download only the database pertaining to their country.

There are lot of third-world countries who are still on dial-up. They may
not
have the time or money or resource to download ISOs. But, there may be
others
who might already have the CDs in such countries. This project allows such
end-users to download just the list of people who have CDs, and then contact
them for CDs. This way, we can spread GNU/Linux CDs in an efficient manner.

> In what will it be different than
> http://www.chennailug.org/wiki/CDs_for_Grab?

This is an online list useful for the city of Chennai in India.

The scope of the above project is huge and this model will spread across
different countries and span across continents.

> How will Savannah help you in
> this task?

A repository to store the different versions of this book release, and also
add
more contacts and information to existing database information.

> We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to catch
> potential legal issues early.
> For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
include
> a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at the beginning of
> every file of source code.  This is explained in
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help catch
> potential omissions such as these.

I haven't started writing the LaTeX code as yet.

Do let me know if you need more information.
---

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4163>