[Savannah-register-public] [task #4710] Submission of FIELDBUS Framework

From: Sebastian Wieseler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4710] Submission of FIELDBUS Framework
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 21:14:04 +0000

Dragan Isakovic <ebelcrom> forgets to use this tracker (for the replies), and
wrote per private mail:

| Well, the main problem is the non removeable dependency on
| OMNeT++. That forces me to look for an other hosting platform.
| Really, I'm not disappointed by your licence restrictions :-)
| Your work and the work of the whole open
| source community inspires me!

Hello Dragon. :-)

Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software movement, not
projects of the Open Source movement.

We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software that is
not dependent on proprietary software.

While Open Source as defined by its founders means something pretty close to
Free Software, it's frequently
misunderstood.
For more information, please see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.

And we don't make the "licence restrictions" but the GNU GPL. You cannot even
host your project elsewhere while using OMNeT++ as a dependence and releasing
your own program under the terms of the GNU GPL.

Maybe it would help if you don't use the GPL for your program but the LGPL
<htp://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html>?

"This is a free software license, but not a strong copyleft license, because
it permits linking with non-free modules. It is compatible with the GNU GPL.
We recommend it for special circumstances
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html> only.",
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

Regards and don't delete your project yet (if you still want so, please tell
me)

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4710>