[Savannah-register-public] [task #5863] Submission of secure democracy

From: Jos H. Boersema
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5863] Submission of secure democracy
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:02:04 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

== REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION ==

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=8754>

== REGISTRATION DETAILS ==

Full Name:
----------
  *secure democracy*

System Group Name:
-----------------
  *sede*

Type:
-----
  Official GNU software

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

Other License:
--------------
  The project is currently "GPL version 2 only". I did that
in order to be able to review new versions of the GPL. Any
organization can become corrupted, therefore I was concerned
that through infiltration and alteration of the GPL, the
program could suddenly become proprietary.

If this is really a big problem, I am prepared to go to
"version 2 or later", since the work on GPL3 seems not to be
a hostile hack. Please let me know. I may do this anyway.

------------
  http://www.xs4all.nl/~joshb/sede http://sede.sourceforge.net (mirror)

Sede is a democracy program. It works by giving each "registered
voter" a alphanumerical string of configurable length, which the
voter can combine with a vote, and comment. These combinations are
received back, verified with a database, and displayed back to all
voters. Add-ups of votes are included (weighted and non-weighted
is possible), any number of questions per ballot... well, I suppose
it is just as easy to check the website ?
A good location to get an idea is `menu' -> `example' -> `screenshots.html'.
Sede does not suffer from the problem that the Internet needs to
be redesigned to eliminate freedom and anonymity; rather it needs
the Internet to be free and anonymous. Sede therefore acts as a
safeguard for this freedom, rather then a threat. This program was
featured in BGW #52 (which unfortunately contained errors, see `where' ->
`*)' if philosophical issues are an issue in approval (hope not)).
Sede has always wanted to emulate the GNU feel, and said so openly. I just
didn't know I could apply to become a GNU project with it.
Sede is all GPL 2, with a view to go to GPL 3, it has no other Licenses. I
have used gettext before, but it will take some time to make changes;
changing the bracing isn't a problem. The program is mostly shell-scripts
(being moved to Perl), using gettext will only make sense if something like
it applies to Perl, if/when that is done.

I am very open to all suggestions for improvements (*especially* coming
from GNU!), however, all work will take its time, of course. Perhaps it is a
good idea to wait some time before making this a GNU program, it is up to
you.

Other Software Required:
  Sede relies on the usual system progs like cat, ln, cp, mv, ls...
sed, ed, grep. And a few other backends: zsh. Mutt is used to send
attachments, but I'm not happy with that, it is too complex for the
task (IMHO).

Other Comments:
  I already mailed address@hidden, but no reply yet.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?5863>