[Savannah-register-public] [task #5868] Submission of Special Interest G

From: Steven Robson
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5868] Submission of Special Interest Group Time Series
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 11:16:42 +0000

Follow-up Comment #4:

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replaying, your mail was lurking among the mass of
other mail I got this week. If you'd posted a tracker comment sooner, I would
have known to look for a source code mail.

Firstly, it is perfectly legal for you to release privately to your friends
under a completely different license to the one that you offer publicly.  You
can only host the free-as-in-freedom licensed version of your project on
Savannah though.

Secondly, we only host projects that can run on a free operating system (such
as GNU/Linux).

We have adopted this policy because now that completely free operating
systems exist, we do not want to encourage users of those systems to start
using proprietary operating systems so that they can use your program.

If you are willing to maintain a version for free operating systems, which
work as well as or better than other ports, you can then provide versions for
non-free systems as well. The idea is that at no point should only-free users
be at a disadvantage compared to users of proprietary software.

Your project should always work equally well in free systems as in any other
version you provide; if you have some modules for non-free systems, you can
delay their release until you have released the free operating system
version.

If you accept this commitment then please state so. From you previous
comments it is not clear if your project will compile/run on a free OS, as
you mention using it with "visual c++".

Thirdly, in order to release your project properly and unambiguously under
the GNU GPL, please place copyright notices and permission-to-copy statements
at the beginning of every copyrightable file, usually any file more than 10
lines long.

In addition, if you haven't already, please include a copy of the plain text
version of the GPL, available from http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt, into
a file named "COPYING".

For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

If some of your files cannot carry such notices (e.g. binary files), then you
can add a README file in the same directory containing the copyright and
license notices. Check
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html for further
information.

The GPL FAQ explains why these procedures must be followed.  To learn why a
copy of the GPL must be included with every copy of the code, for example,
see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude.

Finally, yes it is possible to change the name of the project. We change the
name in the database entry before approval, so that the correct things are
created if it is approved. (Though you don't see a change on the submission
page). Just let us know the new names you'd like. (Full name and System group
name).

If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please provide us
with an updated tarball of your project.  Upon review, we will reconsider
your project for inclusion in Savannah.

To help us better keep track of your registration, please use the tracker's
web interface following the link below. Do not reply directly, the
registration process is not driven by e-mail, and we will not receive such