[Savannah-register-public] [task #6046] Submission of mftrace

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #6046] Submission of mftrace
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 15:46:38 +0000

This is 'education' whenever there's a chance to do it :) Submission time is
a good opportunity.

I realized that even I would have been lazy enough not to lint my legal code
during the initial import - fortunately we Savannah hackers decided not to
approve our own projects submissions, so we can feel what a project
submission truly feels like.

Of course, when we're reported a blatant lack of effort in this regard, we
can start a discussion with the devs independently of project approvals. For
example, user ~hanwen just reported me that the mftrace code lacks some
copyright/license notices, and enticed me to emphasize the importance of
clean legal documents when the very notion of copyleft protection relies on
copyright :)

Another example is when a user reported proprietary code in project qemu.

Public domain is indeed far easier to use (just a line in each file stating
so) - but you've got no protection whatsoever.