[Savannah-register-public] [task #6213] Submission of Groinc the simple

From: Luc Sarzyniec
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #6213] Submission of Groinc the simple network Sniffer
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 11:10:36 +0000

Hi,

I made the modifications in the COPYING file and in the copyright notices. I
also modify the license notice of some of the files as asked.

"PS: incidentally, how does your project compare to tcpdump?"

To be honest, I learnt today that tcpdump had powerfull prococol filters by
reading the source code and the documentation. I had an old version of it on
my computer, tried it one time then decide to develop my sniffer from scratch
with more possibilities.

If I need to compare the two softwares, I could say that tcpdump have
apparently a good BPF filter that is easier to use than the filter options of
groinc.

I didn't found any filter for layer over the transport layer in tcpdump.
Groinc has a filter based on regular expression for the layer over the
transport one that can be interesting.

At the moment groinc don't provide choice of the network interface to be
sniff (but you could use a MAC address in replacement).

After read a few part of the source code of tcpdump, I can say that the
protocols support is more flexible than in groinc (because each protocol has
his own file, the protocols treatment is centralized in 2 or 3 files
(parsing, display, treatment) in groinc).

I found the display of low level protocols more detailed and readable in
groinc than in tcpdump.

To finish, I can say that groinc is at an alpha version at the moment, it
will be improve a lot before the stable release. A bunch of functionalities
will be add ...

Regards.