[Savannah-register-public] [task #7015] Submission of Enhanced Brill's P

From: Michael Casadevall
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7015] Submission of Enhanced Brill's Parts-of-Speech Tagger
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 05:40:41 +0000

I understand that, unless a copyright holders puts their work into the public
domain, the creator still has a copyright on their work to use as they wish.
The problem stems from this:

"Title to copyright in this software and any associated
documentation shall at all times remain with M.I.T., and USER agrees to
preserve same. "

What this essentially means is any work based off Eric Brill's tagger has its
copyright held by M.I.T. That is non-free, and GPL incompatiable. It also
means that the copyright of your work, regardless of the fact that its
licensed under the GPL is being held by M.I.T. under this clause.