[Savannah-register-public] [task #7015] Submission of Enhanced Brill's P

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7015] Submission of Enhanced Brill's Parts-of-Speech Tagger
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:00:25 +0000

Follow-up Comment #26:

So here's the answer from licensing (apparently you didn't receive the CC):

<<<<<
On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 02:34:57PM -0400, Sylvain Beucler via RT wrote:
> Hi Brett, is there a problem with the license or can we eventually
> approve the project?

It's too weird; I can't say anything about its freeness one way or the other
myself.  I'm going to have to ask RMS and a lawyer about it.  And I already
have outstanding license review requests from Fedora, Classpath, and Mozilla,
so I'm afraid it's going to be a while before we can get to this.

I'm sorry for the delay; unfortunately, all kinds of recent events (like the
release of GPLv3) have inspired a flood of review requests, and it's a very
delicate process that can't be rushed.  We're already juggling three or four
at any given time, and I'm doing my best to keep things moving, but there are
limits to what we can do.

Apologies,

So this essentially confirms that we (the Savannah hosting platform as a
whole), are not capable of processing your request for hosting in a reactive
manner for now.

So to recap, as I understand your application is a derived and GPL'd version
of Eric Brill's piece of software, which is under unclear licensing terms,
making it unclear whether the code can be included in a GPL'd project.

I doubt we can offer a partial hosting (only code that is not impacted by the
original license), because your project core is a enhanced version of the
original software.

So right now we can either be patient and wait for a thorough licensing
check, or stop the approval process.

Our apologizes for this consistent lack of reactiveness and best regards.

  Message posté via/par Savannah