[Savannah-register-public] [task #7015] Submission of Enhanced Brill's P

From: Golam Mortuza Hossain
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7015] Submission of Enhanced Brill's Parts-of-Speech Tagger
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 02:04:33 +0000

Hi Sylvain,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your efforts in
getting the licensing issues resolved for this submission.

Certainly, I can mail Eric Brill regarding re-licensing of
the software. Before I do so, however, I feel that I should
at least understand myself "the precise problem and/or the
imcompatibility(s) with GPL" with the current license.

I just had a re-look at the license of Brill's tagger and
then compared it with "W3C SOFTWARE NOTICE AND LICENSE"

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231

I did NOT find any basic difference between the terms of
these two licenses. They use almost the same wordings.
According to FSF web page,

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

 W3C Software Notice and License
          This is a free software license and is GPL compatible.
<<<<

Now I would like to request you to let me know what you
consider is the difference between the Brill's license and
"W3C SOFTWARE NOTICE AND LICENSE". Then I can request Eric
Brill for possible re-licensing by citing the specific
problem with the current license.

Cheers,
Golam