[Savannah-register-public] Releasing a Savannah project in the public do

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Releasing a Savannah project in the public domain
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:48:31 +0100

Hello,

Do you have recommendations for releasing a piece of software in the
public domain?

Also, isn't there something about countries who don't permit to
disclaim copyright, that we need to take into account?

Peleg Michaeli (in carbon-copy, please keep him in the replies) is
willing to do so but is using a lengthy license block (see below) that
I fear would lead to a lack of clarity. In addition he mentioned he
doesn't wish to use a permissive copyright license such as Expat.

Thanks,

--
Sylvain

----- Forwarded message from Peleg Michaeli <address@hidden> -----
On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 12:38:20AM -0000, Peleg Michaeli wrote:
> Hello Sylvain.
>
> I attach a new license (notice) that I plan to include in ANY file of the
> project, exclude the LGPL dependencies.
>
> I hope that this notice is clear enough; please let me know what you think
> and if you approve it.
>
> Thanks ahead,
> Peleg.

> filename.php
>
> This file is part of the FreeLy Project - Ajax Micro Wiki Core package.
> This project is a free software project.
>
> NO COPYRIGHT AT ALL. This work is released to the public domain. (a
notice)

> We, the persons who have associated work with this document/file ("We")
hereby dedicates whatever copyright We hold in the work of authorship
identified below (the "Work") to the PUBLIC DOMAIN; Moreover, We dedicate
any copyright interest We may have in the associated work.

> We have taken reasonable steps to verify the copyright status of this
work. We recognize that our good faith efforts may not shield us from
liability if in fact the work certified is not in the public domain.

> We make this dedication for the benefit of the public at large and to the
detriment of our heirs and successors. We intend this dedication to be an
overt act of relinquishment in perpetuity of all present and future rights
under copyright law whether vested or contingent, in the Work. We understand
that such relinquishment of all rights includes the relinquishment of all
rights to enforce (by lawsuit or otherwise) those copyrights in the Work.

> We recognize that, once placed in the public domain, the Work may be
freely reproduced, distributed, transmitted, used, copied, modified, merged,
published, built upon, or otherwise exploited by anyone for any purpose,
commercial or non-commercial, and in any way, including by methods that have
not yet been invented or conceived.

> This notice applies to the associated document/file and to it alone.
>
> This notice applies worldwide; in cases this is not legally possible, We
grant anyone the right to use this work in any way and for any purpose,
including without limitation the rights to reproduce, distribute, transmit,
use, copy, modify, merge, publish, build upon, and/or sell copies of this
document/file, under no terms or conditions.

> You (the reader of this notice) are NOT obliged to include this notice in
copies or portions of this document/file; You are HIGHLY encouraged to do
so, though.

----- End forwarded message -----