Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7770] Submission of ANSI C in prac

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7770] Submission of ANSI C in practice
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:00:18 +0100

Hi,

We'd better ask licensing@ about the feasability of this project.

> > We're likely to run into a lawsuit here, because there already exist a
> > non-free, commercial book with the answers to the K&R manual,
> > published by the same editor (in France, at least -
> > http://worldcat.org/oclc/44175298).
>
> That's a fact, but I think that the solutions aren't always the same(I'm
> sure about that) but how we can avoid this problem? that the programmer
> doesn't use any "code" that looks like the code in that book? especially
> because some questions has answer that aren't so special, I mean, you
> can write the same code that other people.
>
> > Maybe it would be more useful to create a whole new set of exercices,
> > with both questions and answers placed under a free license.
>
> That's a good option, I think that I'll ask him about that.

That would avoid implicitely recommending non-free documentation.

Should we accept the project, in fact? They are solutions from a
non-free documentation - are they of interest for people who don't own
it? Don't people have to get the book in order to use the solutions?

> > Maybe a free implementation of the exercices answers is possible, but
> > this needs to be done carefully on we need to discuss it with
> > Athanasios Kasampalis beforehand.
>
> I've just got the email account of Brian Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie
> I'll point the user the URL with the emails account and I'll made my own
> contact with Dennis M. Ritchie.
>
> I'll send an email as soon as I got an answer from Dennis M. Ritchie.

I don't think K and R are the copyright holders anymore. It's probably
their publisher who own the copyright. I had a copy of this book, and
I think the copyright page read that way.

--
Sylvain