[Savannah-register-public] [task #7902] Submission of GSEGrafix

From: Alexander Shulgin
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7902] Submission of GSEGrafix
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 17:14:39 +0000

(sent by mail)

> Thanks for reviewing my program and for your comments. I have a few
questions:

> 1. Where should I upload the revised package? If I use the place I first
used, it looks like I will need to include the information I did the first
time. Perhaps the computer will think I am submitting a second project.

If the tarball was < 512KB you could attach it to the tracker.  You may trick
the system by using the registration form or use this link directly:
https://savannah.gnu.org/register/upload.php

You upload a file and receive URL in return--there's no need in registering
another project. :-)

> 2. The compiler options I used are those used for creating rpm files. Is
there a more appropriate set? Are all the options I used necessary, or
recommended? The -O2 option creates a lot of warnings, none of which is a
problem. Is the -O2 option necessary? I haven't noticed any performance
differences without it. I removed the -march option from the make file.

I think you can happily live with plain CC = gcc w/o any options.  Maybe use
`-g' for debugging purposes, though.  Anyway, it was a side note and isn't
actually related to project registration. ;-)

> 3. Are you saying that I should change the names of the gpl.txt and fdl.txt
files to COPYING and COPYING.DOC, respectively? I have moved these files to
the top package directory.

You don't really have to rename the files--the COPYING and COPYING.DOC are
just conventional names for GPL and GFDL, so most people will recognize them
at a glance.

> 4. I used strict xhtml for the help document, and it's rather long. Is
xhtml acceptable for GNU project help files? Is there a tool available for
converting xhtml (or html) to Texinfo?

We can accept documentation in any free file format, so you can postpone this
question till you actually want to make your project an official GNU package.
I'm not aware of exact policies, but my guess is that texinfo is recommended
source format--consult the link I've provided earlier for details.

--
Alex