[Savannah-register-public] [task #10340] Submission of Basic Utilities I

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10340] Submission of Basic Utilities I Like To Use
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:29:32 +0000

Hi Pasko,

Mario has pointed out a few issues remaining with the project. I know you
have done a great deal of work towards compliance, so let me add a few
remarks.

First, a small oversight: you still have not changed the README file to
remove "open-source", and you should not use that on the project description.

With the ojdbc library you can remove it altogether since it's an optional
dependency; it makes your whole project unusable for many people. See how the
license, apart from what Mario states, requires to agree to this:

You will not use the Programs for, and will not allow the Programs to be used
for, any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without
limitation, for the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear,
chemical or biological weapons of mass destruction.

It is a harsh requirement to not do anything prohibited by US law if you
don't even live there; who knows what crazy things may be prohibited now or in
the future? I am sure that Maven can be made to download ojdbc from a given
URL, if needed; but it would be better to remove the dependency altogether and
replace it with some free library. Even better would be to not depend on
Oracle at all, but use a free database such as PostgreSQL or MySQL. At least
(and this is a requirement) you have to make sure that your project works with
a free database, and optionally with the proprietary ones.

Finally, there is one point
<https://savannah.gnu.org/task/index.php?10294#comment3> which you have not
addressed: you also have to make sure that builtu builds and runs with a free
JDK, such as OpenJDK <http://openjdk.java.net/>.

Please note that the hosting requirements are there because we believe in
certain freedoms and we believe that they are not negotiable -- it is not OK
to give them up to gain some convenience. I would like your project to be
resubmitted and accepted because I would personally have found it useful, but
it needs some further work.