[Savannah-register-public] [task #14571] Submission of Comparison Plotte

From: Ineiev
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14571] Submission of Comparison Plotter to visually evaluate ocean model simulations
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 14:17:46 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #10, task #14571 (project administration):

I'm not so familiar with the fair use doctrine to judge about using limited
amount of data; I guess that the analogy with citation is not complete: the
purpose of citation is to discuss the work, and in your case data would be
used for your package.

When you change coordinates, you make a derivative work, and in order to make
a derivative work, you need a permission from the copyright holder, so this
doesn't resolve the issue.

In principle, plots are derivative works, too, but the data license seems to
allow them implicitly ("please cite all relevant publications from researchers
that made the measurements you use in your work", that is, they allow making
works that cite those relevant publications).

I'd suggest asking address@hidden (please be ready to wait for a long time,
re-ask after no response and wait again...)---unless you can avoid those data
completely.