Re: [Savannah-users] Re: PSPP

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Re: PSPP
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:53:02 -0800

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:02 PM, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> Anyway, the point is, don't jump to the conclusion that something is bad
> just because you see a symbol which looks like a swastika.

But never mind the appropriateness of the reaction to the swastika.

Suppose he did really see a swastika? Clearly, the web page doesn't
actually have one.

So if the bug report is true, how could that happen?

Could it be some hash collision in the browser's image cache?

Here is what I'm thinking. Just a wild-assed guess. Suppose this
person is a kook who is obsessed with the Nazis. He probably spends a
lot of time surfing the web looking for sites that display Nazi
symbols, and then bothers their administrators.

His browser's image cache probably has a lot of images related to this interest.

Suppose that the browser became confused due to some bug, like some
hash collision, and simply
retrieved and displayed the wrong image from the cache?

Or there was some other problem: a repaint problem in the windowing
system, object pointers being mixed up the browser's heap, etc.

See, I want to go out of my way to believe bug reports. When we stop
believing bug reports is when we become really bad developers.

:)