Re: [Savannah-users] git "smart http" protocol

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] git "smart http" protocol
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:36:04 -0400

AKF> More importantly, the article suggests using Basic Authentification.
AKF> That sends the password unencrypted over the line, just base64-encoded,
AKF> but anybody can decode that. So, it's a very bad idea to use that for
AKF> sensible data.

While I agree that using ssh for push is better, note that the expected
use case for commit over the new http protocol is to do it over tls.

A number of sites use a single ssh login for all projects, limiting
commit access by the ssh key.  For them, supporting commit over ssh
is an easier change.

Pull-only support, though, will be a very helpul enhancement to SV.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6