Re: [Savannah-users] removing spam comments from news items

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] removing spam comments from news items
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:07:03 GMT

Hi Steve,

    I just noticed, people have been making junk replies on the FreeFont
    News items for some time.

Yes, it's a big problem -- it's not just freefont, it's everywhere.  I
saw your support requests too, and was discussing with Michael
(Flickinger) about what to do.  For starters, he is writing something to
(a) let us easily wipe out users completely with all their spam, and
(b) insert a captcha so (hopefully) fewer spammers will gain access at
all, at least for a while.

I'll delete the crap from freefont shortly, regardless of what else
happens.

All the suboptimal documentation is a problem too, I know.  Life is just
too short.  FWIW, the "flag as spam" stuff is relevant to comments on
trackers, not the news items.  The news ("forum") subsystem is pretty
different from everything else.  As far as I know, you (as project
admin) cannot currently do anything to stop comments there.  Another
thing on Michael's plate ...

best,
karl